Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 9: Oak Ridge, Weekend Plans

10/8/2010
The Good, The Bad and The Writing

The Good

1) 1) I had a good week in Oak Ridge. I got a lot accomplished as far as training and giving myself focus in the job for the near future. I really love my coworkers there. Especially the couple that I stayed with the last two times I was in the office.

I guess I should explain a little bit here. I am an accountant by day. I work out of my home and have very little social interaction on a daily basis. It is nice to get into the office (most people feel the opposite). I sometimes (most of the time) feel like I am going stir crazy all alone. I occasionally visit the office for one reason or another. And I really love it. I like Oak Ridge Tennessee. Could I live there? Yup. Some day. For now, the best thing for the family is for me to endure the home office thing and visit the office every so often. This time I was training to take over the accounting for one of our Clients. Now it is up to me to “wow” the Client. She is leery to let me take it from the current accountant. She’ll see it is in her best interest. I may not be as good as the lead on this task, but I am a pretty damn good accountant. I am on a bit of a tangent there.

I will be taking over for this Client, and I have a pretty good sized laundry list of things to do to prepare for that take over. I also am making good progress on another Client of ours that we are trying to turn over the accounting to the Client after an implementation. I left the office with a pretty hefty checklist. I want to work hard this coming week to get it all done. I don’t think I am expected to get more than a couple of the items done, but I really want to be done with these, so I can maybe add more Clients to my daily work to break the monotony.

2) 2) I have one hell of a weekend planned! I am currently writing this at about 30,000 feet above the earth. I am somewhere between Knoxville, TN and Houston, TX. And looking out the window doesn’t really tell me a whole lot. I see a bunch of brown ground, some industrial looking type buildings and quite a few lakes. Too bad the windows aren’t equipped with google map overlays. Ok, too sci-fi huh? Anywho, I will be landing in Houston in about an hour. An hour and a half later I will board the next plane and hop on over to San Antonio.

Once there, I will get my suitcase and call my lovely wife. She will then make the jaunt from the “cell phone parking lot” – one thing San Antonio has on Los Angeles. We are then going to go straight to Graham’s Station (I think) and watch a Tejano band that my wife has been a groupie of for more than 20 years. So, this white boy is gonna get his mexicano groove on until who knows when.

Then home for a few (or a couple depending on how long into the night we party) hours sleep. I am going to be on the set of a Zombie Film Short tomorrow morning. The two problems with that are as follows. 1) The crew call is at 7:30am. FUCK ME! And 2) this is being filmed about 4 hours south of San Antonio near the border with Mexico. FUCK ME SIDEWAYS! So that means I have to be on the road by 3:30am. YOU MIGHT AS WELL FORGET THE LUBE WHILE YOU’RE AT IT! My almost forgotten friend Monster Energy drinks are going to make an appearance in my life this weekend again for the first time in months. So I am going to be either the production assistant (fancy name for gopher to the director and producer) or the Script supervisor (fancy sounding name for someone who reads along with the script and feeds the actors their lines if they forget them. I have no idea what time filming is going to wrap up, but afterwards I have a four hour drive back to San Antonio. So that means that if shooting wraps up at 8pm, then I won’t get home until after midnight.

Enough for me for this weekend? HA! I laugh in the face of that statement. And not only because the grammar sucked. The Texas Rangers have made the playoffs. I don’t remember the last time that took place. They have a player named Josh Hamilton. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you look up his story if you haven’t yet. You don’t have to be a baseball fan to be inspired and awed by this young man. (Flight attendant just announced that electronic devices must be stowed now. Damnit, I was on a roll too.) Well the wife read an article about Mr. Hamilton. Not the first one either, but after reading this one, she decides she wants to see him play. So Sunday (if the Rangers lose tomorrow that is) we are going to make the five hour drive from San Antonio to Dallas for the noon game. That means getting up and being out the door before 7 in the morning. And a five hour drive back around 3 pm.

BRING ON THE WEEKEND!!!

The Bad

None today

The Writing

The muse is not with me tonight sitting in the airport. She probably won’t return until Monday either. Sorry if any of you care.


Stay scared my friends,

My Little Demon
myltldmn@gmail.com

No comments: