Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 14: Case 39 Review, my iPhone Luck,

10/13/2010
The Good, The Bad and The Writing

The Good
Tonight, the good is going to refer to the movie I watched and not necessarily my review of it. I have never reviewed a movie before so this should be interesting.
If you haven't seen "Case 39" yet, then I hope there aren't too many spoilers in this for you. Alright reviewing cherry - popped.
I saw "Case 39" with my wife and teenage son. I knew nothing about this film walking in. No cable will do that for you. All I knew was that it was about demonic possession. Well, watching this, I wouldn't exactly call it possession, but that is close enough for government work I suppose. I didn't know Renee Zellweger was the main actress. I was pleasantly surprised. I've found her acting to be hit or miss, and I think she played an almost convincing social worker. Her fright in the tense scenes was passable, but I just can't get my head around her being the tough enough type to be able to stand up to a demon. I don't care how far you push her. I just couldn't give it my endorsement.
Ian McShane (Mechanic in "Death Race") played a cop who is a close friend of Emily (Zellweger) and goes through an emotional transformation that wasn't quite in character for a police officer. Usually you would expect a cop to have a hard time buying demonic possession (I don't care how catholic he is), and in a horror movie in particular. However, Detective Barron is swayed by a single phone call that could have easily been faked. I didn't buy that part. But didn't have to suffer him for very long after that (oops sorry).
The real star of this film and by far the best acted part was that of Jodelle Ferland. She was fifteen at the time of filming, but I was convinced she was only ten. I think I need to watch Eclipse to convince myself that maybe she isn't really a demon. She scared the living shit out of me. Creepy little girl (who celebrated her 16th b-day last Saturday). I wouldn't be caught dead alone with her for fear of being caught dead.
The score was perfect and enhanced the tension of just about every scene, as did the cinematography. I looked over a couple times and my son (he will be 14 in about 3 weeks) had both his hands covering his face and his ipod headphones in his ears. And it wasn't the "peeking through his fingers" over his face either. It was full on "I'm not here right now, please take me to my happy place" hands over his face. I actually verbalized a couple time when it made me jump. A very rare event indeed for this horror fanatic.

Acting: 3 out of 5 stars
Script: 4 out of 5 stars
Jump out of your seat factor: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Score and cinematography: 4 out of 5 stars
Overall: 3.875 out of 5 stars

I recommend any horror fan sees this movie. I WILL buy it when it comes out on DVD. Then again I think a horror movie really only needs to get 2 stars for me to want to buy it, and I even own a few sub 2's

The Bad
My iPhone luck is the worst. When i first got my iPhone 3G two Octobers ago, it took me three trips into the Apple store for me to get a phone that worked properly. As any of you know that read yesterday's blog, my iPhone was stolen at the Public Library. Well, it was about time for a new one anyway. That thing was pretty beat to shit. Components were starting to fail on it one by one. It had been about 6 months since the Wi-Fi worked. The Sim card kept going out. It took about 5 minutes (not an exaggeration either) to boot up. The little toggle button that turned off the sound broke off about a year ago. Beat to shit, but still, it contained just about my entire life.
Well, I went into the Apple store last night and got a new iPhone 4G. Awesome upgrade right? Well, if it had worked properly, I would agree with you. It didn't. I couldn't get it to work last night and again this morning. So, I made an appointment at the Apple store to have it looked at. 2 hours later the little nerd herd, or geek squad or genius bar rep or whatever guy comes over and says, nope its a bad phone. DUH. I told you that. "We're going to have to replace it." "Fine, it's not like it matters anyway. I didn't have a backup of the old phone, so this one had nothing on it either." So, that was about two hours wasted of my day. But the phone seems to be working wonderfully now. I just wish I had better luck with phones.

The Writing
None tonight, early morning (gym) tomorrow.

Stay scared my friends,


My Little Demon
myltldmn@gmail.com

No comments: